Access to adequate health care is critical to aging in place successfully. Of course, maintaining your health is desirable because you feel better and have a greater chance of staying in your home longer. Getting proper health care can also lend to fewer falls, a better outlook on life. and, of course, a higher quality of life.
As you grow older, even minor health issues can blossom into serious issues and have a snowball effect on your body, state of mind and life.
Common health conditions
Health issues you may experience as you age are:
- Loss of hearing
- Heart disease
- Memory loss
- Mobility issues
- Difficulty in grasping or holding items, lower muscle strength
- Reduced stamina
The list could get quite long. Having a plan in place to ensure your good health is of utmost importance.
Planning your health care
Coordinating you health care will be tricky at times. Some things you might want to think about include:
- Are there adequate health care facilities nearby?
- Do any local physician’s offices offer in-home visits or remote health care?
- Will you have proper transportation to and from appointments should you not be able to drive?
- Have you made your health care wishes known and do you have someone appointed to speak for you should you become incapacitated?
Professionals who can help
There can be no replacement for quality health care or managed care (for those who need it) by reputable medical professionals. Most all cities have physicians that specialize in working with the elderly or with common conditions associated with getting older. Talk to your doctor or seek the assistance of a geriatric care manager.
More Aging in Place Basics
Other aging in place topics
Aging in Place Home Ideas
Room-by-room examples and ideas for home remodeling and your home life to create a more safe and easy-to-use environment for aging in place.
Home Remodeling Showcase
Real life aging in place home solutions remodeling jobs built for people just like you by professionals across the United States. Includes photos and a brief description of each.