What Is A Certified Aging In Place Specialist and How Can They Help

What Is A Certified Aging In Place Specialist and How Can They Help

What is the Certified Aging in Place Specialist (CAPS) designation? It is used to identify those that have been trained to help seniors & older adults live in their homes safely as they age.


The designation program was created by the NAHB Remodelers of the National Association of Home Builders (NAHB) in collaboration with Home Innovation Research Labs, NAHB 50+ Housing Council and the AARP developed the Certified Aging-In-Place Specialist (CAPS).

The CAPS program helps professionals learn the technical, business management and customer service skills needed to serve the needs of older adults.

Small Business Owner? Check out our new website just for you.

What is a Certified Aging in Place SpecialistHow they can help older adults

A Certified Aging in Place Specialist can provide any number of services to seniors and older adults. To date, most are home remodelers, but there are a growing number of health care professionals, home care providers, architects, designers and other professions in their ranks.

Though the training provided for the CAPS designation is not inclusive of everything they need to know, a great many professionals go on to study more about aging in place, including Universal Design, home safety or other areas that can help people live safely at home.

What is a Certified Aging in Place Specialist video

In this video, “What is a Certified Aging in Place Specialist“, by Mary Alexander from Home Instead Senior Care. Mary explains what a Certified Aging in Place Specialist (CAPS) is and how they can help you stay in your home longer, and more safely, as you age.

More about Certified Aging in Place Specialists



Aging in Place Newsletter

Delivered every 2 weeks. No spam. We will never give your info to anyone else.
Mark Hager About Mark Hager

By Mark Hager
LinkedIn | Google | Articles by Mark Hager
Mark Hager is an aging in place thought leader and advocate. He is the founder of AgeInPlace.com, CEO of Age in Place Networks, a leading authority in the aging in place niche and a trusted voice for both consumers and business owners serving older consumers. Over the years, Mark has provided help for thousands of consumers, organizations and small businesses.


  1. I’m a Certified Occupational Therapy Assistant, providing care to the geriatric population at home. I would be very interested in getting involved, though I’m not a contractor. I do home mods with what’s available, and make suggestions based on my observations upon visiting the home. Is it possible for me, as a home healthcare provider, to become certified as CAPS?

    • Mark Hager Mark Hager says:


      Absolutely it is possible for you to get the CAPS designation. I would be happy to talk with you about it (and other options), or help answer any questions you might have. So you know, I’m actually an adviser for a national group of OT’s who do home mods. As such, I am pretty well versed in your work. If you’d like to have a quick call, here’s a link to schedule on with me. I will email you a link to schedule a call with me. (If you don’t see it, check your junk folders.)

  2. Ronda Welty says:

    Mark as I see above a COTA/L (Certified Occupational Therapy Assistant) asked already about becoming certified. I am looking into the courses now and would love to correspond with you on what I am doing working with the DIDD population in Tennessee and get your input. THANK YOU kindly, Ronda

Speak Your Mind