Kathleen was injured in a car accident about 1 year before. Her house was far from accessible. An ugly platform lift up 5′ to the front stoop was an eyesore to the block and it was improperly installed requiring her to turn 90 degrees before exiting onto the porch. She used the living room for her hospital bed which offered no privacy, was an eyesore and embarrassing when visitors arrived, and she was separated from her husband. She could not access bathrooms safely. There was a chair lift which allowed her to access the top floor (full bathroom), but she had to transfer at the bottom then again at the top. Those transfers were unsafe, time consuming and inconvenient.
Aging in place features:
- We removed and re-installed the platform lift so she could roll on and off in the same direction.
- We built a front porch with a barrel vault ceiling around the lift to conceal it from street view and for enjoyment.
- We built a two-story addition to the rear of the house which housed a new elevator exiting to the new large master bedroom.
- An existing bedroom was converted to a large, fully accessible master bathroom.
- A stackable washer/dryer was installed in the bathroom closet.
Home Remodeling Photos
About Russ Glickman – Glickman Design Build
The founder and principal at Glickman Design Build, and a proud father of three. I founded Glickman Design Build over 33 years ago because of my passion for building beautiful, highly-functional homes. As the parent of a child with cerebral palsy, I’m especially passionate about serving the special needs community by designing and remodeling homes that improve the quality of life for families with children with mobility-based physical disabilities. I am a certified remodeler and hold the following certifications: Certified Aging in Place Specialists (CAPS), Certified Environmental Access Consultant, Green Advantage® Certified Practitioner, and EPA Certified Renovator.
Glickman Design Build
14516 Pebblewood Drive North
Potomac, MD 20878
Click here if you would like to have your project considered for publication.